Getting ready for surgery is very important to your health and recovery because surgery can sometimes be scary and stressful. It is important to plan for your surgery, that is why we have created this simple guide and a few helpful tips to follow before you head over to the hospital:
- Be sure to eat healthy and nutritious food weeks and days before your surgery. Research shows that you get better surgery results if your nutrition is at its best. You should eat foods with protein such as beans, lentils, tofu, chicken, seafood and dairy products. High protein food is best at keeping you strong and upbeat before and after your procedure. It also helps to speed up the recovery process.
- Absolutely no smoking before your surgery. Although this may seem like common sense, patients tend to forget this important before surgery “do not”. Smoking increases your risk of heart and breathing problems. Patients who smoke have a higher risk of getting an infection. Smoking also causes an increase in vomiting or feeling nauseous.
- You need to know your medicines and ask your doctor what can and can’t be taken before surgery.
- Be sure to answer phone calls from your physician’s office before your procedure. We will contact you up to three times. It is important to answer these calls because we will give you instructions for the day of surgery and answer any questions you may have.
- When you arrive to our facility, be sure to check-in and we will direct you from there. We understand you may have anxiety before your surgery, so we want to make you feel as comfortable as possible!
Here at Effingham Ambulatory Surgery Center, we are with you every step of the way. We look forward to giving you the very best care. Our goal is to always ensure your entire experience is excellent and comfortable in every way. Contact us if you have any questions and concerns before your surgery!